James E. Sikes Elementary School
2727 Shepherd Road Lakeland, FL 33811
Phone: (863) 648-3525
Fax: (863) 648-3187
School Hours: 7:45 am – 2:45 pm
Office Hours: 7:15 am – 4:00 pm
Early School Dismissal: 12:15 pm
James W. Sikes Elementary opened its doors in the fall of 1983 and has been serving families in the Mulberry and South Lakeland communities. Sikes Elementary was named after Mr. Jimmy Sikes who was the founder of the Florida Tile Company in Lakeland as well as a Philanthropist. Mr. Sikes’ favorite book to read as a child was the Wizard of Oz.
Our school mascot is the Cyclone in honor of Mr. Sikes’ favorite book.
The school has continued to grow with the community and the average enrollment is 650 students in grades PreK through fifth.
What Makes Us Different?
- Strong community support (Great American Teach-In, Business Sponsors, Volunteers, etc.)
- Departmentalized instruction in 4th and 5th grades
- Strong Inclusive Community for ESE Population with Direct Support
- Diversity of the students and staff
- Positive culture for learning: PBIS, One school, One book
- Environmental friendly – Green team/Gardens (Pollinator and raised beds, picnic areas for outdoor learning)/outdoor classroom area
Sikes is located in the south end of Lakeland and primarily draws students from South Lakeland and Mulberry. The school focus has continued to center around increasing student achievement and meeting adequate yearly progress in order to build a strong community of support for the students, staff and the lowest-performing students. Core and supplemental researched-based materials are used to guide instruction. Our professional development is centered on increasing teacher knowledge and raising student achievement. We will continue the implementation of quality instruction, active learning, and higher-level thinking skills.